How long have you allowed your GIS to just skate by doing what you asked for and not really pushing the limits and meeting its true potential? This time of year many of us are having those same conversations with our kids as we get ready for another year of school. Some of those conversations are ones around reaching for the stars or focusing on your strengths. Your GIS data is no different. Now is the time to really evaluate the potential your GIS has once it realizes it has no limits.
Here are a few tips to help prepare you for your “Talk…”
- Take a deep look at your data and really think about what information you have at your fingertips. Is it functional for your crews in the field to take with them and optimize the way they work?
- Put on your creative thinking cap and think about the possibilities—do you explore putting information like voltage data into the map? Are there other pieces of information that visualizing the location would assist in solving work challenges you face each day?
- Remember, think about what is your true business problem you are trying to solve and can your GIS data have the potential to get you there?
- But be cautious and to not overcomplicate your data. Have a solid base map without additional layers that clutter the map and slow the performance.
- Most importantly, ensure your data is accurate and if not take measures to get it there.
Just remember that just like in parenting you are not alone. NISC is here to help support you in your “talk.” For more information on assisting your GIS in meeting its potential contact our NISC GIS Services Team at 636-755-2459.