Technical Systems SpecialistLake St. Louis, MO, Mandan, ND, Shawano, WI
This position reports to Technical Services Team Lead, providing quality IT installation and support services to NISC customers nationwide. This position collaborates closely with all NISC departments in North Dakota, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Iowa.
This position is responsible for installing and supporting NISC customer systems and IT-related applications in a Linux/Java/Oracle/Progress environment. This includes the iVUE Administration and SysAdmin applications, as well as ancillary products such as E-bill, Document Imaging, Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems and Microsoft Windows Server networks. Perform system and software installations, configurations, upgrade tasks, hardware troubleshooting and performance analysis for NISC customers. Assist other NISC departments with technical-related customer needs. Up to fifty percent travel to our customer’s sites is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide implementation services for NISC customer systems and IT-related application.
- Provides staging, installation, configuration, and user training for customer equipment and applications; onsite or remotely.
- Perform hardware replacements in production environments.
- Perform operating system and firmware upgrades.
- Mastery of Domain Controller installations at small to medium sized customer sites across all industries (less than 25,000 accounts/10,000 subscribers).
- Mastery of iVUE Server Installations and Replacements at small to medium sized customer sites across all industries (less than 25,000 accounts/10,000 subscribers).
- Mastery of Web Proxy Server (E-bill) Installations and Replacements at all customer sites.
- Prepares, monitors, updates, and communicates the Software Implementations lifecycle (SILC) for all installations.
- Trains customers on all system management tools that are distributed with NISC customer systems.
- Coordinate and maintain project schedules for hardware implementations.
- Provide superior customer support to internal and external customers for NISC customer systems and IT-related applications.
- Provide customer phone support as part of an on-call, after-hours rotation on evenings and weekends.
- Provide customer support for all support items assigned to the Tech Call Center via iVUE Support, customer monitoring dashboard, NISC Community requests, and direct e-mail.
- Document customer issues in NISC’s contact tracking (iVUE Support) system.
- Performs research of problems, resolves issues for customers, and recommends changes or enhancements as directed.
- Provide problem resolution to Intel based hardware issues.
- Provide problem resolution to Linux operating system issues.
- Provide problem resolution to Windows operating system and PC operating system issues.
- Provide problem resolution to VMware configuration and performance issues.
- Provide problem resolution to customer application issues and answer questions and provides resolution in areas such as backups, restores, error messages, printers, security, system integration, and iVUE applications.
- Emphasis on projects that reduce support for NISC customers and NISC’s Technical Services Install and Support teams.
- Will be required to travel to customer sites as often as necessary to meet the business objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Generally requires 3-5 years experience in Linux and Windows servers or similar experience.
- Excellent knowledge in the setup and support of Linux operating systems.
- Excellent knowledge in the setup and support of Intel based hardware.
- Excellent knowledge in configuration and support of VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V technology.
- Excellent knowledge in the setup and support of Microsoft Windows Server operating systems and Terminal Server.
- Excellent knowledge in the setup and support of Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems and software.
- Working knowledge with the setup and support of TCP/IP networks.
- Working knowledge of Virtual Private Networks (VPN), firewalls, and network security.
- Basic knowledge of Project Management processes and theory.
- Basic knowledge of Service Level Management (SLM) best practices.
- Basic knowledge of Utility and Telecom industries.
- Strong customer orientation.
- Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively adapt to change.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism, ethical behavior, and confidentiality.
- Ability to travel as often as necessary to meet the goals and objectives of the position.
- Commitment to NISC's Statement of Shared Values.
Desired Education and/or Certification(s):
- High School diploma or equivalency required
- Bachelor’s Degree in a computer-related field or equivalent experience preferred
- Technical Certification preferred
Employees must be able to lift up to 30 pounds as well as be able to see, speak, and hear, to operate computer keyboards or office equipment, and are required to stand, walk, and sit.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.