Intern - Software DevelopmentCedar Rapids, IA
This position reports to a Software Engineering team lead. Collaborates with other software developers and systems engineers. May work with support staff assigned to design business requirements and with quality assurance personnel. This position is responsible for software development and projects while assisting with the maintenance of NISC's core software applications.
**Current applications submitted will be under consideration for Summer 2018**
- Performs basic research, design and development of software systems.
- Researches, analyzes, and resolves basic software maintenance.
- Assists in the enhancement and/or maintenance of application programs in the following business areas within RDQ: CIS (Consumer Information Systems), SIS, (Subscriber Information Systems), ABS (Accounting and Business Solutions) and Engineering in either the Utility or Telecom industry.
- Follows all established software development methodologies and procedures.
- Performs quality testing as it relates to both unit and system integration dependent on the tasks assigned.
- Reviews and prioritizes assigned change requests.
- Ensures that all information is appropriately entered and utilized in the iVUE Support tool.
Desired Job Experience:
- Strong customer orientation.
- Familiarity with Java, J2EE architecture, EJB, RMI, JDBC, HTML, JSP, XML, SQL, and enterprise design patterns.
- Familiarity with Oracle and/or Progress databases.
- Familiarity with Linux and Microsoft Windows.
- Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively adapt to change.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism, ethical behavior, and confidentiality.
- Commitment to NISC's Statement of Shared Values.
Desired Education and/or Certification(s):
- High School diploma or equivalency required
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business-related field or equivalent experience preferred